Homestone’s concrete tile installs exactly like any stone product you will encounter in the tile industry. Therefore we will not restate all the installation substrates and adhesion methods. Please refer to the TCA installation handbook on stone installation methods for all the general information you may need. Here are a few general things to be aware of when installing the concrete tile:
- Concrete tile cuts with a diamond blade and a standard wet saw is recommended when cutting the concrete tiles
- Modified thinset is the recommended adhesive for the installation of the concrete tile. Mastic will work in some cases but it is not recommended for most installations.
- Standard sanded or unsanded grout is recommended for concrete tile. Urethane grouts are a good option and in some cases recommended over cement based grouts, however, epoxy grouts are not recommended.
- Concrete tile from Homestone are factory sealed and need no further sealing on the jobsite. In order to provide further protection, a coat of quality floor wax may be applied to the tile. This will provide an added layer of protection. Additionally, a coat of porous plus by Miracle Sealants will also help in stain proofing the concrete tile but in most cases is not required.
- The concrete tile will occasionally form dark edges. This often happens when the tile is light in color and the grout is dark. If this is happening when you grout, the dark edges will usually disappear when the grout dries. Dark edges may be reduced by coating or soaking the tile and the edges with porous plus by Miracle sealants before grouting. Urethane grout is also a good option to reduce the dark edges that may appear when grouting. Black color grout is not recommended for any concrete tile.
- Never use abrasives or acid /base cleaners on concrete tile. These agents will breakdown the sealers and affect the color stain on the tile surface. Always clean up with nonabrasive cleaning tools and neutral cleansers.
- Concrete sealers and stains will scratch. Do not use utility knives or metal scoring tools when setting and grouting concrete tile. All sealers used are rated for floors however the glossier the finish the more likely scratching will be visible
- Not all sealers used by Homestone Concrete are acceptable for outdoor use. Please make sure that you check with Homestone if you are using a concrete product outdoors that is not specifically stated for outdoor use. Both coloring and sealing systems used for outdoors are different than those used for indoors.
- Always remember to inspect all materials after pick up/ delivery and before installing the concrete products. Please remember installation is acceptance on all products, once the product is installed there are no returns or refunds.
These are few general tips on the installing of concrete tiles. Very detailed installation instructions are availability from TCA under stone installation methods. If you have any further questions about concrete tile installation please contact us @ 716-683-3054